FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
+ What does it take to obtain a pilot’s license?
With your dedication and desire to learn, we will help you prepare for the FAA written, oral and flying exams. Generally speaking, flight training involves two types of instruction: ground and flight.
During your ground instruction, you will learn about various aspects of flying such as basic aerodynamics, aircraft systems, regulations, weather, navigation, and communications. At Advanced Aviation our ASA Private Pilot Kit provides you with all of the materials needed to learn all of this important information.
At a minimum, 40 hours of flight time are required to qualify for the private pilot certificate. 20 of those hours must be completed with a Certified Flight Instructor. The actual break down of required flight time is shown below.
- 20 hours of dual flight instruction
- at least 3 hours of cross-country flight instruction
- at least 3 hours of night flight instruction
- at least 3 hours of flight by reference to instruments only
- at least 3 hours within 60 days preceding your flight test
- 10 hours of solo flight which includes
- 5 hours of solo cross-country flying
- 1 solo cross-country flight of at least 150nm total distance with stops at 3 different airports
- takeoffs and landings at an airport with a control tower
+ How much does it cost?
Be sure to check out our interactive cost calculator. Costs can vary based on several factors. Using the information above, the minimum cost is approximately $7,900. While the minimum flight time is 40 hours, the national averagr pilots completing the private pilot course is closer to 65 hours. Therefore, we suggest budgeting several thousand dollars more to allow for additional training time. If you don’t need it, then you could always use that money to rent our aircraft after you earn your certificate!
+ Why choose Advanced Aviation?
- Choice of Garmin GPS equipped aircraft.
- We train in the two safest aircraft: The Diamond DA-20 and the Cessna 172.
- Advanced Aviation has had the same owner management since 1999, resulting in more responsiveness to our customers' needs.
- All pilots are given equal scheduling access. We do not favor one group of pilots over another, as is done in some flight schools.
- Highly qualified and motivated instructor staff: Our instructors are passionate about flying and teaching.
- Online scheduling: Easy online scheduling allows you to instantly book your lessons.
+ How long does it take?
The amount of time it takes to earn your certificate is dependent on two main factors: weather and schedule. The one factor we both have no control over is weather. The other is completely up to you! If your schedule and budget allow flying several times weekly, then we can prepare you for the flight test in approximately 2 – 3 months time. If you do one flight lesson per week it will take about a year to earn your Private Pilot certificate. At any rate, we will help you learn at your own pace.
+ How do I get started?
One of the best ways to get started is to take a Discovery Flight. We offer an $99.00 introductory flight of approximately 30 minutes in which you will be able to experience the magic of flight. You will be paired with one of our Certified Flight Instructors while you take the controls! After the flight, we will answer all your questions and help you get started with your flight training!
+ Still have questions?
Call or email us with your questions, and our qualified instructor staff will be happy to help and provide guidance in achieving your aviation goals.